Friday, March 22, 2013

Do You Fancy Visiting a World-famous Film Set?


"Sound of Music" filmed in Salzburg Austria
Sound of Music filmed in Salzburg (picture credit: metroactive.com)






Okay, I’m going to put my hands up and admit to the fact that I am a massive fan of the Rogers and Hammerstein’s film The Sound of Music. I can hear you sniggering, but do you know what? I don’t really care! As this film is based on true events that transpired in the run-up to the Second World War and because it is a picture that literally has it all, I am actually quite proud of this sincere fondness.

This was one of the main reasons for my wanting to visit the city of Salzburg in the first place. The city always looked so idyllic and quaint in the movie itself and I was keen to see how much it had changed since the film was shot back in 1965. 

This turned out to be the biggest surprise of them all! When I got to Salzburg and walked around the Old Town especially, I very soon realised that Salzburg has hardly changed at all. Nearly fifty years later, walking around the city you still recognise many landmarks and buildings that were captured in the original film and this is actually quite amazing!

Of course, if you have ever been lucky enough to venture to Salzburg yourself, the Fortress which sits atop of a hill overlooking the city is one of the first sights that instantly hits you. I found that the Mirabel Gardens were still extremely easy to recognise, as were a number of other buildings and fountains where the Von Trapp children danced and sung around.

In an age where there are numerous violent films depicting yet another poor unfortunate being murdered, the film The Sound of Music provides some much-needed escapism; a return to a bygone age of innocence. There is so much to be said for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment